Monday 24 October 2016

Lucky by Alice Sebold

Lucky
Alice Sebold


For first impressions, you can tell that the author has made the book in which she wrote with reality. The fact that Sebold narrates her own story she wanted to give the reader a "raw" and true image of what was happening and the feelings she felt. Books like memoirs about a critical time in someone's life which feature events which not every reader may have experienced, it is up to the author to describe effectively and she demonstrates this very well. After the rape scene, the amount of detail given to the reader convey this. The part which stood out to me most is when she reaches the hospital and is able to take a shower. Her sorrow shined through with sentences like"I remember telling Tree I wished I had a wire brush but that even that wouldn't be enough." and "She drew it down my back, nothing but the bar of soap touching me. I felt the rapist's words, "worst bitch," as I would feel them almost constantly for years when I undressed in front of other people." Details like this voice the story well and I think it would be interesting to try and apply such techniques to my work in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment